The thing about this healthy living, is it’s all about choices. Every minute really. It takes a bunch of thinking, and planning, and figuring out, what is the best choice in this moment?
Every time I lead a WW meeting I ask members if they have any challenges coming up this week. It’s funny, there’s ALWAYS a challenge of some sort, isn’t there? (heh)
My challenge this week is that Mr. McBody and I are going to celebrate his birthday dinner with family at a fancy French restaurant tomorrow. I looked it up. It looks… amazing.
It’s always good to look things up first, to get prepared to make those choices. What do I want? What am I willing to pass up, and what am I not? Well, there are always a bunch of things that one can do when facing a celebratory meal at a fancy place.
- Get lots of activity before and after. Check. I had a killer “last chance workout” with trainer today. And I’ve worked out every day this week. I plan to work out on Sunday for SURE but maybe tomorrow as well.
- Check out the menu! Make choices beforehand. I am pretty sure I want mussels. I loooooooove mussels. Happily, they are kind of a lean protein and there’s not much of it anyway. I guess the issue is the broth they’re in. And the bread. And the fries. Hmmm…. do I want bread? or fries? I think I want bread, with which to sop up the yummy mussel juice.
- I think I am actually OK without wine or cocktails. I will go with sparkling water/ice/lime combo.
- I do want at least a couple bites of dessert, so I’ll share with someone.
- Light breakfast/lunch beforehand.
- Dip into those 35 “extra” points if necessary.
See? That wasn’t so bad. I think I can emerge from this dinner unscathed. Or at least only partially scathed. And maybe I can have a COUPLE fries… I’ll report back after.
The OTHER issue which I did not mention is that we are meeting other friends for BRUNCH on SUNDAY. Agh…… if there’s anything worse than a fancy restaurant meal, it’s TWO fancy restaurant meals in a row. I’m gonna have to be super duper mindful of that one, and be SURE to work out on Sunday. The good thing about brunch, too, is that it is two meals in one. 🙂
So yeah, it’s a never ending choice-fest out there. I think one good thing about having these “major” events is that it causes me to be extra-extra mindful. I probably get in more trouble on ordinary days when I assume I am making good choices when I’m probably not.
February 12, 2010 at 7:09 pm
Life is never going to be perfect for you to lose weight, you just need to forge ahead and make the best choices you can without losing your sanity. Good for you!
February 13, 2010 at 6:12 am
You’re right, there is always something coming up… Good tips for dealing with it! Enjoy your dinner!
February 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm
Good ideas here. Mussells are not my temptation, but the french fries could be. Sounds like a fun weekend with people I know mean a lot to you. Please wish Mr. McBody HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me.
February 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm
Happy Birthday to Mr McBody!
Forewarned is forearmed or whatever it is they say. I love it when restaurants have their menus online.